We get this question a lot from our customers: Do I really need to use a heat protectant on my hair? In short, yes, you do. But depending on the frequency of your heat-styling and blow-drying, as well as your own personal styling routine, you might be able to vary the level of heat protectant usage.
In this article, we’ll cover some of the dos and don’ts of heat styling, and some of the heat protectants offered by Fantastic Sams, that’ll help keep your hair protected and healthy.
Heat Styling DOs and DON’Ts
First off, let’s start with a few pro tips related to heat styling.
- Remember when styling, that less heat is always going to be better for your hair.
- Using your styling tools at higher temperatures can cause more damage.
- If you’re just getting started with heat styling or aren’t sure what temperature will work best for your own hair, experiment with lower temperatures first, and gradually increase based on your results.
- Make sure your hair is completely dry (after washing, showering or applying any product) before using a curling iron, wand, straightening iron or other heat styling tool. If you try using one on wet or damp hair, it will cause damage to the hair shaft and cuticle making your hair rough, less shiny and prone to more split ends and broken strands.
- Let your hair air dry halfway before drying with a blow dryer, in order to minimize exposure to the hot air. When you dry, use a low heat setting and work quickly.
Our Favorite Heat Protectants
Now that we’ve covered a few basics on heat styling, we’ll review a few of our fantastic products to help protect your hair from the elements – heating elements, to be clear. If you use hot tools, these products are vital to keeping your hair healthy and looking fantastic.
And just a preface before reading on, we’ll go ahead and define keratin – it’s the key structural protein that makes up hair, nails and the outer level of skin. Keratin is a necessity for strong and healthy hair, so naturally it factors into these products.
Keratin Thermal Protection Spray
After washing your hair, towel dry to remove excess moisture and spray some Keratin Thermal Protection Spray on damp hair, in sections. Then, blow dry and heat style as usual. This spray provides not only thermal protection, but also leaves your hair with a smooth, shiny finish.
Smoothing Keratin Treatment
Perfect for curly, wavy or coarse hair, our Smoothing Keratin Treatment is heat-activated to penetrate the cortex of the hair, resulting in a smoother blowout. It protects hair from your favorite hot tools, reduces frizz and also protects against humidity for up to 24 hours. Work this into your routine by applying a few drops to damp hair, focusing on the middle of the shaft to the ends. Then, blow dry and style.
Keratin Shampoo and Keratin Conditioner
For maximum heat protection, as well as damage control if you already have damaged, dry or brittle hair due to heat styling, incorporate our Keratin Shampoo and Conditioner. They can replenish and protect your hair’s natural keratin protein, improving elasticity and preventing future breakage.
Blow Dry Primer
While not technically a keratin-containing product, this one ranks high on the list of our favorites and deserves some recognition. This fantastic product is designed to reduce your blow drying time and leave your hair with a smooth, silky finish. Who doesn’t want that!? Spray lightly onto damp sections of hair, then comb through from roots to the ends of your hair. Use a round brush while drying for an extra volume boost, or for a sleeker look, use a vented or paddle-style brush.
So, there you have it – our favorites for protecting your hair against heat styling. Check out one (or all) and show us your sleek, shiny hair results on social @fantasticsams!
Fantastic Sams Cut & Color is a full-service, "no-appointment-needed," hair salon with over 900 convenient locations. Find a Fantastic Sams Cut and Color Hair Salon near you. Real. Fantastic.