Curls can deliver plentiful volume, beautiful shape and tons of life to a hairstyle. The trick is finding the perfect curly hairstyle to complement your unique style. To help you find the right look for you, we've gathered up five of our favorite curly hairstyles for women below, from shortest to longest.
Curly Bob (Plus the Faux Curly Bob)
Our shortest curly hairstyle adds a finishing touch to an already fantastic hairdo – the bob. If you're rocking a bob, try adding curls to add more life and volume to the style. There's a variety of ways you can customize this style, so feel free to experiment with different colors, textures and curl sizes to find the perfect look for you.
If you don't want to chop your locks that short but still want the look, try a faux curly bob; here's how:
- Use a hair tie to secure a ponytail at the nape of your neck (if your hair isn't naturally curly, add some FS Styling Mousse first for extra volume and a flexible hold)
- Slide the hair tie down until it almost reaches the end of your curls to create a loose ponytail
- Pull the ponytail up and tuck it under your hair to hide it
- Roll your hair up past your shoulders until it’s at the length of a standard bob
- Use pins to secure your hair at the length of a typical bob
- Lock down the look with some pins and, voila, you’ve got a curly bob without having to chop off any hair
Curly Lob with Side Bangs
Let's move on to medium-length hair with a style that works great for women whose natural hair isn't extremely curly. The curly lob with side bangs delivers a balanced look while adding gorgeous volume. And, if you style it right, the side bangs will provide the perfect frame for your face.
To style your curly lob with bangs, sweep your bangs over to one side of your face and apply a small amount of FS Curl Defining Crème while your hair is still wet. Then, you can scrunch your hair with your hands as it dries, or you can use a blow dryer with a diffuser.
Folded Curly Updo
Want a curly hairstyle that works for almost any occasion? We've got the perfect style for you. The folded curly updo not only looks fantastic, but it’s also super practical. Since it’s tied back, a curly updo will keep your hair out of your face and eyes, making it a great workout style; and, it’s polished enough to rock at the office.
Here’s how to style the look:
- Make a deep part either on the side of your hair or down the center
- Take one of the parts and split it into two equal sections
- Twist the front section of hair over the back section
- Take hair from your hairline to the back section and twist it up over the top section
- Continue twisting your hair from your hairline to your ear
- Secure the twist with a bobby pin
- Split the part that you didn’t use in step two into two equal sections
- Braid the sections and secure it with clear elastic hair ties
- Fold the braids into an updo on top of your head, making sure to tuck the ends of your hair underneath
- Secure the braids in place with bobby pins
Medium Wavy Curl
This look is perfect if you have longer, naturally straight hair and want to rock a little bit of curl. The waves give off a fun and carefree vibe, but the overall style still looks refined. Whether you're heading to work, a casual night out or something a little more formal, medium wavy curls work great in almost any setting.
You can get the look with a little help from a curling iron and some FS Finishing Spray.
This hairstyle could work for almost any hair length, but we absolutely love the way it looks with long curls. Whether you go ultra high or low and messy, the relaxed ponytail is the perfect hairstyle if you’re looking to add volume and body to your curls.
If you have naturally curly hair, this style is also effortless to get – you just have to decide how high you want your ponytail and lock it in with a hair tie.
Pro tip: If you need help getting the curls you need to perfect the styles above, check out our recent blog post on how to blowdry curly hair like a pro. You can also visit your nearby Fantastic Sams for advice from one of our talented stylists.
Fantastic Sams Cut & Color is a full-service, "no-appointment-needed" hair salon with over 900 convenient locations. Find a Fantastic Sams Cut and Color Hair Salon near you. Real. Fantastic.