Dry hair makes every day a bad hair day. Not only is it difficult to manage, but dehydrated locks can look dull and brittle. Keeping your hair hydrated and even restoring moisture to tresses that have seen better days is easier than you might think. Try incorporating these tricks into your hair care regimen to keep your hair healthy and hydrated.
Apply Hot Oils
One of the easiest and most popular remedies for revitalizing dry hair is applying hot oil. Oils are rich in vitamin E and antioxidants which help seal the outer layer of the hair, locking in moisture to repair damage and add shine. A variety of oils will do the trick including olive, coconut, almond, castor, jojoba, corn or argan.
Take your pick then follow these easy steps:
- Warm about a ½ cup of the oil. Be careful not to bring it to a boil.
- Apply to your hair. For easier application pour the oil into a plastic squeeze bottle then squirt directly onto your scalp or into the palm of your hand.
- Use fingertips to gently massage into hair and scalp. You can also use a comb to help distribute the oil throughout your hair.
- Cover hair with a warm towel or plastic shower cap. If you go the shower cap route, try sitting in the sun or gently heating with a blow dryer. The heat will help your hair absorb the oil better.
- Leave the oil on your hair for 30-45 minutes.
- When the time is up, rinse using warm water, then shampoo.
Use Repairing Masques
Use a deep conditioning treatment once a week to keep your hair hydrated. Or, if you’re feeling a little adventurous, give one of these homemade recipes a try.
This mixture contains protein to fortify and strengthen hair and works wonders to restore moisture to extremely dry, brittle hair.
- Whip an egg white with two tablespoons of tepid water.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp.
- Massage with fingertips in a circular motion for a few minutes.
- Rinse with cool water, then shampoo your hair.
The high potassium and moisture content of bananas makes them a great choice for treating dry hair. A banana mask can also help prevent split ends, soften your hair and improve elasticity.
- Peel and mash a banana.
- Spread thoroughly through the length of your locks from roots to ends.
- Cover hair with a shower cap and let it sit for an hour.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
Upgrade Your Products
When choosing hair care products, be sure to avoid shampoos, conditioners and styling products that contain sulfates, silicone or alcohol. Sulfates are harsh cleaning agents found in many household cleaners – and shampoos. They strip the natural oils from hair leaving it dry and brittle. Silicones are often found in conditioners; they may help your hair look shiny and smooth, but they tend to build up after awhile and cause hair to look dull. Since they can only be removed with sulfates, it’s best just to avoid them. Alcohol is found in many styling products and contributes to dryness.
Shampooing too often can also dry out your hair; shoot for just two or three times per week. When you do, concentrate mostly on your scalp and use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner with softening ingredients such as aloe vera, apricot kernel, almond, argan or sunflower oil. If you feel like you must wash your hair every day, consider co-washing or conditioner-only washing. With this method, you use conditioner in place of shampoo, massaging your entire scalp and rubbing gently just like you would when using shampoo. This removes any dirt or residue without stripping away beneficial oils.
Limiting how often you expose your hair to chemical treatments also helps prevent dehydrated locks. If you must color, highlight, perm or relax your hair, opt for chemical-free or ammonia-free treatments that are less likely to dry out your locks.
Dry hair can be a problem any time of year but sun, chlorine and salt can make keeping your hair healthy and hydrated in the summer even more difficult. For more tips, check out How to Keep Your Hair Healthy and Looking Fantastic All Summer. And don't forget, you can always visit your favorite salon for a moisture replenishing treatment if you need a little extra help.
Fantastic Sams Cut & Color is a full-service, "no-appointment-needed," hair salon with over 900 convenient locations. Find a Fantastic Sams Cut and Color Hair Salon near you. Real. Fantastic.